Xbox One Internal Hard Drive Upgrade or Repair: Build any size drive that works on any console

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Tutorials' started by tai1976, Jun 21, 2017.

1. 16v

16v Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hey Guys!

i tried it today with a 2TB SSD.
    after create_xbox_drive diskpart starts and list my hdd´s, but then a Long time nothing happens, till...
    find: `/c/Dokumente und Einstellungen': Permission denied
    find: `/c/Program Files/Gemeinsame Dateien': Permission denied
    find: `/c/Program Files/windows nt/Zubeh\366r': Permission denied
    And so on...

Cursor is blinking. can´t choose hdd, program ist stopping.
    what´s wrong?

o.k. This line in english_xfix doesn´t work
    reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA | find /i "0x1"

and also _files_to_process.txt can´t be found.
    (but file exists in english cmd Folder)

Attached Files:

Last edited by 16v, Jan 31, 2018
  2. RushW

RushW Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2018
    United States
    After some troubleshooting, I was successful in swapping out my 500GB drive to a 2TB drive on my Xbox One (vanilla, not the S or X version).

Prior to starting this, I backed up all my games to a 1TB external drive first, ensuring there were minimal files on my old Xbox 500GB drive. After formatting my 2TB drive per the OP's instructions and placing it in the box, I too kept getting the black screen issue. I kept thinking I had done something wrong.

Apparently, my system was busy building some files in the "System Support" folder in the background, because after I pulled the drive and checked that folder, it had about 10GB worth of files in it. I placed the drive back, and after waiting over 30 minutes with still no dashboard, I decided to speed up the process and copy files from my old 500 GB drive to the new 2TB drive.

Note * I couldn't connect both my Old 500GB drive & New 2TB drive to my PC at the same time. So, I just copied files from the 500GB to my PC, then my PC to the 2TB drive.

Here's what I did:
    1. Copy the old drive's "System Support", "Temp Content", and "User Content" folders to my PC.
    2. Also copied the "bootanim.dat" from my 500GB drive's "System Update/A" folder to my PC (this ensures you will get the "Xbox" boot logo animation when you boot it up).
    3. Disconnect the 500GB drive and connect the 2TB back to my PC
    4. Copy the above files to the 2TB drive (same folders).
    5. Unzip the OSU1.zip file on my PC, and copy the files specified in the OP's instructions. Ignore the "Systemauxf.vxd" file.
    ONLY copy the files specified in the OP's instructions to the "XX:\System Update\A" and "XX:\System Update\B" folders.
    6. Placed new 2TB drive in the Xbox One, and it booted right up. If you did it correctly, you'll get the XBox boot animation and your Dashboard will come up within a minute or two.

3. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    You know where to get replacement screw's

4. RushW

RushW Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2018
    United States
    A quick search for "xbox one replacement screws" on eBay turns up quite a few.

5. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    NOTE: This post is not the most current. You probably want this instead: Xbox One Hard Drive Upgrade: Build a 5TB, 4TB, or 3TB drive that works on any Xbox One Console

This is the original February 7, 2018 version of this article titled:
    Xbox One Hard Drive Upgrade: Build a 5TB, 4TB, or 3TB drive that works on any Xbox One Console
    This article is best used if your Xbox One does have a working hard drive and you wish to swap it out.

WHAT THIS IS:
    This is a set of scripts that allow you to create a standard/official 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB internal hard drive that works on any Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X console and can be reset and remain at that appropriate size. In effect, all Xbox One consoles are potentially 2TB consoles.

Additionally and the primary focus of this article is that the newer version 6 of the Windows and Linux partitioning scripts can copy your standard/official 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB internal hard drive's content to a new 5TB, 4TB, or 3TB drive and utilize the additional storage space. Conversely, you can also copy your content to a smaller than 500GB hard drive such as a 256GB SSD.

In short, you can go from any Xbox One internal standard/official drive size to any other 2.5" standard or non-standard drive size.

These scripts should support systems using any language but particularly on Windows 10 you'll need to have "English (United States)" installed but does not need to be the default language.

For standard sizes this is NOT a hack or mod, this is a script which creates the exact hard drive structure Microsoft uses on each 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB console it sells.
    For non-standard sizes such as 5TB, 4TB, 3TB, or 256GB this is a modification which moves the "User Content" partition to the end of the disk, partition 2 to 5.

In the several years I've been doing hard drive upgrades and repairs on the Xbox One I'm not aware of a single person being banned for this practice. That said, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

INTRO:
    I've sat on this particular iteration of the scripts for about a month just to be sure that others were getting the same results that I was able to achieve.

That said, I've had a YouTube channel for about a 2 years with the channel's goal being to help people upgrade or replace their existing and potentially broken Xbox One hard drive.

Larger 5TB, 4TB, and 3TB 2.5" hard drives have been around for some time but Microsoft has only officially supported up to 2TB drive sizes and will likely never support anything beyond this. Internally speaking of course, externally you can attach up to 16TB.

While a big feature of this script is the ability to change any Xbox One to a 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB standard console that can be "Reset" at any time, the big caveat of non-standard sizes is that performing a console "Reset" will incorrectly format a non-standard drive requiring the recreation of a standard 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive.
    That being said, resetting your console should be a rare occurrence.

So without further ado the script:
    xboxonehdd-master-6.1.zip

WHAT YOU NEED:
    Aside from the scripts to partition a new 5TB, 4TB, 3TB, or 256GB drive you'll need or need to do the following:
    1. You have to be willing to open your console and potentially void the 1 year or extended warranty.
    2. A working standard/official 2.5" 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive. See the following article if you need to create one: Xbox One HDD Upgrade or Repair: Build a 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive that works on any Xbox One Console
    3. A 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD SATA drive. This can be 5TB, 4TB, 3TB or 256GB but it can also be a standard size as well. For example, maybe you just want to upgrade from 500GB to 2TB.
    4. A way to attach 2 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD SATA drives to a Windows or Linux desktop or laptop. This can be a SATA to USB adapter or installing the SATA drive temporarily in said desktop or laptop. I recommend the USB3S2SAT3CB .
    5. An 8GB or larger USB flash drive if using the Linux partitioning script and Ubuntu Live Desktop.
    BUILDING THE DRIVE USING WINDOWS:
    I've created a detailed walk through found within the xboxonehdd-master-6.1.zip file:
    xboxonehdd-master\win\readme_windows.txt
    readme_windows.txt
    Also I walk you through the entire process in the following video:
    5TB Drive Creation Using Windows

BUILDING THE DRIVE USING LINUX:
    I've created a detailed walk through found within the xboxonehdd-master-6.1.zip file:
    xboxonehdd-master/linux/readme_linux.txt
    readme_linux.txt
    256GB Drive Creation Using Linux

CONCLUSION:
    Installing a larger non-standard internal Xbox One hard drive isn't for everyone particularly since it cannot be reset and requires some additional steps to get working.
    However, there is something satisfying about seeing 4.4TB of available internal storage.

Last edited by tai1976, Feb 13, 2018
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I fully understand the appeal of a massive internal drive, but isn't this sort of modification excessive for the average user when the system natively supports external drives via USB 3.0 which offers transfer speed of 5Gbit/s, minus some overhead? I wonder what's the load speed comparison here, testing seems to suggest that external sources actually work faster than the internal drive since they're not limited by the SATA-II controller in the system, and they're faster by a significant margin too. In other words, is it truly worth it to void your warranty and get worse results than USB loading just for the convenience of having just one box? It seems counter-productive, although I do admit that the cleverness of people circumventing Microsoft's artificial barriers never ceases to amaze me.

CallmeBerto and xs4all like this.
  7. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    Just want to say that I appreciate your feedback and you bring up some great points. I just wanted to elaborate on some of them since there is a number of factors to take into account here. Particularly the reasons for which one would want or not want to touch their internal hard drive.

THE AVERAGE USER:

This IS excessive for the average user. Most people couldn't be bothered taking apart their electronics and would rather sell, trash, re-buy, or send for repair a console that is giving them trouble or if they want a newer model with more storage. And, as you pointed out, if they only want more storage they can purchase a USB external drive.

But, I'm willing to bet the "average user" doesn't visit gbatemp, doesn't re-shell their joy-cons, buy flashcarts, install custom firmware, and add backlighting to their Game Boy Pocket. The point is, gbatemp is a site for the "non-average user" which is why I posted this article here and for whom I make my videos and write scripts for.

SIZE VS SPEED VS COST:
    Yes, the internal SATA II (at 300MBps) is faster than the external USB 3.0 ports (at 640MBps) and has the video you showed displays, the same model drive performs better externally than internally. However, speed is only part of a hard drives function. Hard drives are also selected based on size and cost as well. To what degree is dependent on the user.

Also, it is important to keep in mind that standard 5400 RPM spindle hard drives max out at 100MBps and 7200 RPM at 120MBps. While today's solid state hard drives max out at 600MBps (not including newer PCIe drives) and solid state hybrid drives are somewhere in the middle but much closer to the spindle side. These speeds are theoretical maximum speeds meaning speed can fluctuate and are typically slower. With that in mind, the 5400 RPM drives that the Xbox One system ships with should perform the same externally has they do internally since they max out well below the interfaces they are connected. However, since 100MBps is not guaranteed it is more likely to be achieved with the faster USB 3.0 640MBps interface.

With that in mind consider my 2 examples.

The first is upgrading to a 5TB HDD from 500GB. A 5TB internal drive gives you 4557GB of usable space compared to 365GB a 500GB drive gives you. That is about 12.5 times the storage. If 4557GB isn't enough for you adding an external 4TB gives you over 8TB of usable space. Now this will set you back a few hundred dollars but you won't have to worry about managing space anytime soon. Try to do the same amount of storage using purely SSD and see if you still value speed over size.

In my second example; maybe you do value speed over size. So I show you how to downgrade your Xbox One to a 256GB SSD from 2TB. I only had a 256GB SSD on hand but the same principle would work if you want to make a standard size 500GB SSD. Since the Xbox One system itself can only be present on the internal hard drive; general system performance such has system boot times can only be improved this way and you have the added benefit of games installed internally being able to potentially use all of the SATA II bandwidth. Unlike the factory HDD. Again, this doesn't preclude you from also adding an external SSD and taking advantage of twice the speed.

VOIDING THE 1 YEAR WARRANTY:

I don't recommend anyone voids their system's warranty. In fact they should probably wait it out at least a few months to be sure problems don't arise early on.

That said. The vast majority of Xbox One consoles in existence are now out of warranty, people are buying them second hand, have had their systems longer than a year, or they are like me and are just willing to live dangerously.

With that, maybe they want to get the most out of their system, maybe they want the most storage possible, maybe they want a faster SSHD or SSD drive, or maybe their hard drive died and rather than spend money on a new or used console they just want to replace their failed hard drive with one they have on hand or purchased at a much lower price.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    I don't plan on making a post every time someone says "hey you shouldn't do this because X". Instead, I just want to point out that this particular Xbox One hard drive mod is simply that, a modification. And like any other modification it is completely optional and up to the individual.
    And just because someone doesn't think it's for them now. Maybe something happens to their system in the future, such as their hard drive failing, and having this knowledge available helps us all whether it is useful now, later, or never. At least it's available.

Last edited by tai1976, Feb 9, 2018
    MaD_mAnIaC likes this.
  8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You raise a good point - this is pretty handy in the event of drive failure, I haven't considered that.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  9. skydancer93

skydancer93 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 16, 2015
    United States
    Speaking for me, I may want to do this on my Scorpio One X as I do have an external 4TB drive attached(A Seagate Backup Plus) and recently there's been times where the system has been slow to load apps on the dashboard and certain games have sound effects that play after they need to or have some slowdown. But yet, when I put those games to my internal, they work fine.

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've recently upgraded from a 500 GB HDD to a 2TB one.
    I personally dislike external harddrives attached to consoles.

I hope MS comes out with a retail 4TB model.
    Rather have it survive a format then having to rehack the drive.

Edit: you could've also just updated your old thread tho.

Last edited by DinohScene, Feb 10, 2018
  11. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    NOTE: This post is not the most current. You probably want this instead: Xbox One Hard Drive Upgrade: Build a 5TB, 4TB, or 3TB drive that works on any Xbox One Console

This is the original June 21, 2017 version of this article titled:
    Xbox One HDD Upgrade or Repair: Build a 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive that works on any Xbox One Console
    This article is best used if your Xbox One doesn't have a working hard drive.

However, if you are just looking to upgrade your internal hard drive use the tutorial link above.

WHAT THIS IS:
    This is a set of scripts that allow you to create a standard/official 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB internal hard drive that works on any Xbox One or Xbox One S console and can be reset and remain at that appropriate size. In effect, all Xbox One consoles are potentially 2TB consoles.

These scripts should support systems using any language but particularly on Windows 10 you'll need to have "English (United States)" installed but does not need to be the default language.

This is NOT a hack or mod, this is a script which creates the exact hard drive structure Microsoft uses on each 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB console it sells.

In the several years I've been doing hard drive upgrades and repairs on the Xbox One I'm not aware of a single person being banned for this practice. That said, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

INTRO:
    I've been a fan of this site for quite some time, going back to the NDS Acekard 2i era and felt if this site excelled in any particular area, it was quality tutorials.
    Now is my chance to give something back to this community with a tutorial of my own but no necessarily a quality one.

I've sat on this particular iteration of the scripts for about a month just to be sure that others were getting the same results that I was able to achieve.

That said, I've had a YouTube channel for about a year with the channel's goal being to help people upgrade or replace their existing and potentially broken Xbox One hard drive.
    Things worked well enough but the existing process was always more of a hack than a solution. You see, all existing scripts going back to when the Xbox One was released could only create a functioning 500GB drive. To install a 2TB drive you would have to clone the 500GB to 2TB and use a tool such as GParted to change the partition layout to take advantage of the additional space.
    The big caveat to all of this is that performing a console "Reset" would re-partition your drive back to 500GB sizes.

That all changes with this script:
    xboxonehdd-master-5.zip

There is also a newer 6.1 version found here:
    xboxonehdd-master-6.1.zip
    For usage of the 6.1 script read this Xbox One Hard Drive Upgrade: Build a 5TB, 4TB, or 3TB drive that works on any Xbox One Console

Reddit user A1DR1K sent a message to me on YouTube informing me that he had figured out how the Xbox One determines drive size and it isn't tied to the console itself but rather the disk GUID.
    This is a big deal. With a properly partitioned drive any console can use any size drive at any time. Officially Microsoft has defined 2TB, 1TB, and 500GB drive sizes and the xboxonehdd-master-5.zip script now supports them all.

WHAT YOU NEED:
    Aside from the scripts to partition a 2TB, 1TB, or 500GB drive you'll need or need to do the following:
    1. You have to be willing to open your console and potentially void the 1 year or extended warranty.
    2. A 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD SATA drive with a minimum capacity of 500GB. You can use a drive larger than 2TB but you can only partition it as 2TB.
    3. A way to attach the 2.5" HDD, SSD, or SSHD SATA drive to a Windows or Linux desktop or laptop. This can be a SATA to USB adapter or installing the SATA drive temporarily in said desktop or laptop.
    4. A copy of OSU1.zip from Microsoft. Once you've partitioned the drive with xboxonehdd-master-5.zip you will need these files to perform an Offline update to rebuild the newly minted Xbox One hard drive.
    5. An 8GB or larger USB flash drive. This could be considered optional if you place the contents of the OSU1.zip $SystemUpdate folder into an A and B folder on the "System Update" partition and move the updater.xvd file to the root of "System Update".
    BUILDING THE DRIVE USING WINDOWS:
    I've created a detailed walk through found within the xboxonehdd-master-5.zip file:
    xboxonehdd-master\win\readme_windows.txt
    readme_windows.txt

2TB Drive Creation Using Windows

BUILDING THE DRIVE USING LINUX:
    I've created a detailed walk through found within the xboxonehdd-master-5.zip file:
    xboxonehdd-master/linux/readme_linux.txt
    readme_linux.txt

2TB Drive Creation Using Linux

CONCLUSION:
    While the PS4 will always have the advantage when it comes to internal hard drive upgrading and replacement in terms of difficulty.
    Now the Xbox One can finally support the same functionality.

Last edited by tai1976, Feb 13, 2018
  12. 16v

16v Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Does only the old xone has sataII?
    The s and x has SATAIII already???

What is the newest Version?
    6.1?
    Why 2 new posts?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

tai1976 likes this.
  13. tai1976
    OP

tai1976 Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2009
    United States
    The Xbox One OG and S are believed to have SATA II while the X may have SATA III. There isn't any real confirmation from Microsoft on this so we can only go on speed tests which still seem to point to SATA II across the board.

6.1 is the newest version, 5.0 is an older post. 2 threads were smashed into one unexpectedly and added duplicate posts.
    Once I update the original post I'll try and make this less confusing.

16v likes this.
  14. Ferris1000

Ferris1000 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2017
    Germany
    I tried the windows version but I got always the error message that no USB/SATA drives found.

So I use the Linux script but it’s extremely slow.
    I connected my 2tb drive and the destination 4tb drive via SATA but it’s extremely slow. The script runs since 2 days for just copy 1,4tb.

I hope that works when it’s done otherwise I’m really pissed of.