Gal Gun 2 denied classification in Germany

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Feb 10, 2018.

1. shaunj66
    OP

shaunj66 Administrator

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    United Kingdom
    South England
    galgun2-characters2.png

The lusty school-girl hunting rail "shooter" Gal Gun 2 has been denied age classification by the USK in Germany ultimately preventing its retail release in the country.

In the controversial sequel to the original 2015 Gal Gun: Double Peace (which was also banned in New Zealand but strangely not in Germany), you take the role of a Japanese school boy who becomes the unwavering object of attraction for swarms of daemon-possessed school-girls who you must fend off with your pheromone arrows, putting them in a state of dazed euphoria.

Published PQube commented on the ban:

Gal Gun 2 releases on PS4 and Switch on March 15th in Japan and April 27th in Europe and North America.

UPDATE: This discussion has garnered a lot of discussion regarding censorship in Germany and GBAtemp resident member @Uwabami has made a clear and consise post that looks to address some misinformation being thrown around. If you are interested in German censorship I recommend taking the time to read their post on the subject! Thanks @Uwabami !

:arrow: Uwabami's post on censorship in Germany
    :arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66, Feb 13, 2018
  2. Scarlet

Scarlet Self-Inflicted Achromatic

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Hot damn, that's a shame. I'm kinda looking forward to this on the Switch, here's hoping it gets to the UK without issue. Ordering from a different region is always a pain.

Eix, TheKawaiiDesu and Nisem0n0 like this.
  3. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    And nothing of value was lost.

Tokiri, jupitteer, swabbo and 19 others like this.
  4. death360

death360 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Welp sorry Germany you just got denied.

5. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    This game is scary stuff.

6. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Stray Sheep Bar
    I just love how crazy Germany is about these kinda things. They ban a man with a moustache in every game he appears in and they ban voilence in any way. And now even games like galgun are being banned because the game is disliked by the review team. Its really stupid that the people that are just supposed to review the game for a rating ban the game because they find the content inappropiate.

Eix and Subtle Demise like this.
  7. ken28

ken28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 21, 2010
    Germany
    Typical German usk bs.

8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    Yep, those Deutchers have denied a perfect game to play with entire family tho

9. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    What an insignificant loss.

Eddypikachu and Bladexdsl like this.
  10. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    id shoot those girls up any day

11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I'm all for being against censorship, but this game is just weird and entirely unneeded. The fact that it, of all games, manages to get a sequel, is just...eugh.

Yil, CrisFTW, guicrith and 3 others like this.
  12. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Denying classification and banning is not the same when it comes to USK ratings. OP shouldn't use those words like synonyms. A ban CAN be imposed, but does not necessarily need to.

Regardless, I'm startled by this. Normally you get denied a rating for Nazi symbolism or obscene amounts of gore. Haven't heard of any other occurence where the USK pulled an American.

I'd be in for a shitstorm (even though I don't care that much about that game in particular rather than lewd games in general). Btw, they are looking for Testers in Berlin and I was about to apply for the job. Should I add "I would make sure that a mistake like with Gal Gun 2 would never happen again" to the application?

Jonna and Tomato Hentai like this.
  13. ut2k4master

ut2k4master Lord Tourettes

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    none of those things are true actually

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

testers for the usk dont rate the games

Last edited by ut2k4master, Feb 10, 2018
  14. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    Yes, they are very true, if you figure out which exact guy with a mustache is meant here. Take a look at Wolfenstein and guess why the story is pretty different in the German version. That's called censorship and is used to avoid bans.

Thanks for killing the joke with common knowledge.

Last edited by Axido, Feb 10, 2018
    AlmostBadKoala likes this.
  15. ut2k4master

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    hitler isnt banned whatsoever, thats a selfimposed change thats not needed

16. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Well that's not good. These games are really harmless. Since I'm kind of liberal since it's just cartoons, I don't give two cents. Then again I'm not as impressionable as teens that these games aim at.

17. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    I've noticed a lot of Vita games that are, in one way or another, like this (touch based mini-games involve girls/women). I definitely agree it's disturbing that it (1) exists in the first place and (2) there are sequels, but with 7 billion people on the planet, it's really hard for me to not be squicked out by a lot of stuff (usually on the gore end) which people enjoy. On the end of things that do and could exist, Gal Gun seems incredibly tame.

Put another way, if this is the sort of stuff that can't get a rating, I'm genuinely curious how they let things like Super Meat Boy through. Or Darkman. Or lots of..err..Germany media.

DarthDub and AlmostBadKoala like this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    it's weeb trash anyway

19. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Stray Sheep Bar
    What? Of course they are true. They banned all Dead Rising games except for 4 because of the brutality. They also have to shave off hitlers moustache to be able to sell wolfenstein here.

All games that contain any references to nazis or hitler are either censored, or cut completely in Germany.

20. ut2k4master

Feb 20, 2010
    Germany
    yet they still allowed uncensored versions of games like doom 3 and the new doom. also the mustache thing still just isnt true at all

mostly selfimposed